Consulting on the Web Based Proposal System
Digital Equipment Corporation
The background of BVJ's founder, Bruce A. Bednarski, is varied and diverse and includes working
as a consultant for Digital Equipment Corporation in order to develop the Web-based Proposal System
which enabled Digital proposal writers to submit their proposal documents and to search
either by keywords in an SQL Server Database or by content using MS Index Server for similar proposals
that deal with their current projects. Thus, allowing them to remotely share information
with other writers.
This project had two phases:
- A Prototype Phase
- A Production Development Phase
The prototype phase rapidly showed the feasibility of providing a Web Based Proposal System.
It will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Allow the submission of proposal documents to the system.
- Provide content based and keyword based queries of the proposals, allowing users to view
information about the proposals and view the actual proposals. The user will be able to also
download the proposals to their PCs.
The production development phase will expand upon the prototype phase by adding the following
capabilities over time to a working system:
- Add files to an existing proposal.
- Replace a file in an existing proposal.
- Reserve a file in an existing proposal for exclusive changes.
- Create Action Based E-Mail Distribution lists.
- Create a Review Process consisting of a Review Leader and Review Members.
- Start a Review using a Review Process, notifying review members via e-mail.
- Cast a Review Vote with comments and recommendations.
- End the Review by approval or request rework.
For the prototype system:
The html proposal page will give the user the option to:
- The user will enter a URL in a Web Browser.
- The URL will be on an intranet and protected by NT security.
- The user will enter their domain name username and password to access the system.
The html submit page will allow the user to:
- Submit a proposal to the system.
- Perform content-based queries of proposals.
- Perform database searches for proposals.
The submission process will:
- Select a proposal file from their PC via a common file dialog.
- Allows the user to indicate the type of document.
- The user can start a local scan of the document, which will pull out keyword and abstract information.
- The user can modify the keyword and abstract information.
- The user can submit the document and keyword information to the system.
The cgi script will:
- Transfer the document to the server via FTP username/password.
- Run a CGI script.
The html content based query page will allow the user to:
- Move the document to a unique directory for this proposal.
- Create a title html page for title content searches.
- Create an abstract html page for abstract content searches.
- Enters the keyword information into a database.
- Returns a submit confirmation page to the user.
The html database search page will allow the user to enter:
- Query the title and keyword information.
- Query the title, keyword and abstract information.
- Query the entire proposal documents.
- Returning an html pages with list of the matching pages
that can be click on to view the full page.
The users can chose to either view the document in the browser if their browser has been set up with
the appropriate helper applications or can download the document to their PCs.
- search for matches on database keyword fields
- search for range matches on keyword fields that support range matches.
- Both of the above.
- Returning an html pages with list of the matching abstract html pages
that can be click on to view the full abstract page which contains links the proposal documents.
If you would like to discuss your project needs with us please contact us today
at Send Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
This page, and all contents, are
Copyright © 1999-2017, Bruce A. Bednarski
of BVJ Company, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Better Value Joined
Joining-Information-People-DataBases & Businesses
Click here for more information.